The Center for Developmental Science (CDS) is an inter-institutional and transdisciplinary community of scientists engaged in the advanced study of human development. Guided by the principles of Developmental Science, we recognize the complexity of developmental processes that underlie adjustment, health, and well-being across the phases of life. Through our unique training and research mission, we pursue innovative methods to investigate the biological, cognitive, affective, and social systems that characterize the development of people in contexts, ranging from families to cultures.
The CDS has a long-history of outstanding research and training which has fostered our national and international reputation as the intellectual home for Developmental Science. Our strategic goals reflect this historical commitment as well as a desire to actively build on these strengths so as to address the current and future needs of our science. We pursue the CDS mission by focusing on the following goals:
- Training Developmental Scientists across the phases of career progression
- Building productive research teams that push the edge of Developmental Science
- Advancing theoretical perspectives that realize the utility of Developmental Science
- Encouraging methodological innovations in Developmental Science
- Creating effective interventions based on the findings of Developmental Science
- Promoting the national and international exchange of knowledge regarding issues of Developmental Science